Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's Time.

No really. It's about time.

Being that I was born and raised in Texas, this past week was one of emotional highs and lows.

The Texas Rangers have had a record breaking 2010 season and began THE most important playoff series in franchise history last Wednesday against the tampa bay rays. Since Wednesday they tripled their playoff record going 2-0 after the first two games. Before Wednesday, the ball club had only won 1, count it ONE, playoff game...ever. In fact, the Rangers are the only current MLB franchise that has never won a playoff series. Mind you, they've NEVER won a playoff game at home. And after Sunday, they STILL haven't won a playoff game at home.

Yes, you heard right. Going into Game 3, Rangers were sitting pretty at 2-0 and taking it to their home field for the first time in the playoff series in front of a record-breaking crowd - brooms and antlers in tow, preparing for a sweep - it was the perfect scenario to clinch the series and blast We Are The Champions in the Ballpark. It really was too good to be true.

The Rangers ended up losing Game 3 and Game 4 at home, allowing the Rays to tie the series and bring Game 5 back to Tampa.

Now, I have been a Ranger fan since I was in diapers. Literally. I attended the games in diapers and every season since then. I remember the Rangers when they were a completely different team with Rusty Greer, Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez, Juan Gonzalez, Mark McLemore, Will Clark, Rafael Palmeiro, etc. When I was 10 years old, I stood in line to get my picture taken with "Pudge" Rodriguez. I had the biggest crush on him and I'm pretty sure I was blushing in the picture I took with him. But, moving on... this Ranger team is different. Their manager Ron Washington is one of the best managers the Rangers have ever had. They're a young team with a bond the size of Texas. I don't think I've ever seen a sports team with such camaraderie and players that like each other..a lot! It makes it fun for the fans and for me, it becomes an emotional thing.

I remember when news first broke this summer that the Rangers had acquired stud pitcher Cliff Lee, I got a little misty at the thought of my beloved Rangers getting some post-season play. Excuse me for being a girl, but thats just how deep my love runs for that ball club.


So I conclude...

Today is the day. In a few short hours, the Rays' pitcher David Price will take the mound and Game 5 of the ALDS will be underway. Most of your sports analysts have probably picked the Rays to win it, being that they have the momentum and the home field advantage. Never have I been so anxious for a playoff game for any sport in my life. I seriously went to sleep praying that God would have favor on the Rangers.

I plan on adding to this post seeing as by tonight history will have been made...and it will either bring a wave of disappointment or joyful celebration.

According to the AccuScore on ESPN, the Rangers have a 54% chance to the Rays' 46% chance. It will be one heck of a game.

-caris

No comments:

Post a Comment