Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Creeptastic.

I've been inspired.

Last night's trip to my apartment complex's workout room has inspired today's post.

My experience was like a scene straight out of a psychological thriller/horror movie.

I went around 6pm so it was dark out. This was my first visit ever to the workout room. I had seen it from afar but have never set foot in there. So I walk up, see that no one is in there (which is always a plus), and scan my card.

I enter the workout room, which is the size of a 2-car garage, and its dead quiet. There are really tall ceilings so it's extra echoey as well. (Yes, echoey is a word in my vocab.) So, the only sound I immediately heard was this tiny clock on the wall ticking. And because of the echo, it was an eerie tick. I also noticed the HUGE floor-to-ceiling windows that allowed a perfect view from the outside of the entire workout room. Most notably, was the fact that the cardio machines were right in front of the windows and created a nice behind-shot to the outside world. Added an extra element of awkward. 

So, I start to walk over to read this calendar that's posted on the wall, when I notice a door. It's shut and looks like an "employees only" door. Because it was so darn quiet, I could hear what sounded like a slow drip on the other side of the door. It was an eerie drip especially with the presence of the echo. It was that drip-drop sound that you only hear in slasher films. I had to laugh at that point because it was just SO creepy/eerie/ridiculous. I was thankful I brought my music. I figured, "I'm here, let's just tune it out and do this."

So, I did some cardio. Wanted to do some leg work outs, but they only had two leg machines and one of them was jacked up. There was also zero free weights. But I was getting a kick out of the experience/constantly checking the windows to make sure some creep wasn't peering in.

So I conclude...

I immediately checked into a 24 hour membership the next morning and I have received my free 7-day pass.

To my apt. complex's workout room I say: Thanks, but no thanks.

-caris

No comments:

Post a Comment